Search This Blog

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Fall Already?


The past couple of weeks have reminded me that winter is coming. The yellow-flowered chamisa is the last of the allergens to bloom and I think this blooming schedule has been designed to make all the hay fever sufferers happy to see the first frosts and the last of their runny noses.

"Die, chamisa, die!"

The first frost was about a week and a half ago, killing the summer veggies, so goodbye to you,  tomatoes, peppers and green beans.

Since then we've had a few more nippy nights but the kale, carrots, cabbage and lettuce survive.  I planted too much cabbage and we are not sauerkraut fans, so cabbage soup is in the cards.

Next year the summer stuff will go in earlier since the raised beds are in place and ready to go.


Upcoming jobs: the dead plants are outta here and garlic goes in that empty bed in the foreground.

Plant garlic by Halloween; harvest it on Fourth of July. Sounds okay to me!

1 comment:

  1. I moved my potted tomatoes into the greenhouse from the deck, and still have a few tomatoes ripening. And my pots of basil are doing well in there too! Thanks for the garlic tip... I confess I am totally out of touch with when to plant things other than tomatoes, herbs and a few other things. Gotta bone up this winter!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! What's on your mind?