Search This Blog

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Biscochitos: New Mexico Christmas Cookies

I've written about biscochitos every Christmas because they are such a part of New Mexico culture. Heck, they are The New Mexico State Cookie, so you know they are great.

At Mora's Winterfest a couple weeks ago they even had a biscochito contest. I didn't stay to find out who won, but really, every cookie I tasted from the many bake sale tables there was excellent: almost like a cinnamon-sugar-anise seed shortbread cookie.

I buy biscochitos rather than bake them because I like to support my neighbors and when I give the heating guy or the propane guy a little baggie of biscochitos, I hope it gives them a little Christmas cheer.

One biscochito vendor stood out this year because he is into branding and packaging. A member of our Livestock Growers' group and the CEO of our new growers' co-op, he really is into marketing big time. Look at the artistic packaging for his cookies.


His cookies are tasty and dusted with a little more cinnamon sugar than others I have sampled.


Whether you dunk your cookies or eat them straight up, enjoy!



Here is a link to a good biscochitos recipe.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Bridget and Tom,

    Love the blog! We've only began exploring it, but the ranch is beautiful and life seems full. We're driving through your area in a couple of weeks, and would love to stop by if you are around.

    Steve and Cynthia Moran
    cynthia.moran2@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! What's on your mind?