Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Pillowcases: Fun With Fabric

If you know Sheldon Cooper, he has an excellent video podcast series called Fun With Flags. It's everything you'd ever want to know about flags and then some.

If I were like Sheldon, I'd have a podcast called Fun With Fabric, but we have to settle for this blog, instead.

I had a rather nasty flu and was abed for a week or so, with guest appearances on the sofa every once in a while. Drinking Lipton Noodle Soup was pretty much the high point of each day and the rest was just a blur. Several days ago I finally turned the corner, though, and needed to Do Something. I was going nuts!
A couple years ago a group of us had fun making pillowcases at Thread Bear, my local (around here local is 24 miles) quilt shop and in my improved health, I remembered some recent posts about O'Quilts' pillowcase sewing flurry and said, "Oh, yeah." So I did some searching, found this helpful video and zoomed full speed ahead.
I've been making two pillowcases a night and have the cutting and sewing down to forty-three minutes per case, the time it takes to watch one television show, like Sherlock or Hell's Kitchen. So far I've made eleven, and today I gifted two. Here's what I have right now. I am missing the beautiful bird pillowcases I gave away and think I might just need to make a couple more of them.


Matrushka dolls, Viking ships, dragon seas, constellations, stars, snowflakes, flowers, birds in trees (those are the ones gone), fleurs, bugs and fairies. I have one last pillowcase to make which will be all about nature and maybe a couple more that are tres elegante.

Each time I make one, I say, "This is my favorite!" Right now these two are my faves:


The one above is made of Bugaboo fabric from Northcott.

The one below is Dawn Fairies from Michael Miller.


I just hope the pillowcases don't keep the little kiddoes from sleeping. If these were for my younger self, I'd spend a lot of time just looking at the pictures instead of napping.

But then, I was also the one whose mom had to nail the window shut so I wouldn't escape nap time and end up at the corner gas station.

Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Lovely! When I was a member of the quilters' guild here, we made various items to donate to several organizations in the area. One of them was pillow cases, and I liked making the bright, cheery ones for folks in the convalescent homes or shelters. You have a lovely collection there! Hope you are feeling 100% better now... nothing worse than dealing with the flu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are making things again. I love the fairies.
    I was little when the polio scare was going around. We were required to nap even though we were school age and had the shots. Mom laid down with us to make sure we slept. Most of the time she fell asleep!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww Thx for the shout out:) Yeah for you and the pillowcases...I agree with you...I love each one more. Really love the bug jar fabric:)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! What's on your mind?