Search This Blog

Friday, September 21, 2018

Letter From Northern New Mexico

Hello, Friends,

Summer is almost gone: Nights are cooler, leaves are turning, and a successful monsoon season is drawing to a close. That said, it's time for a big old catch-up session because I haven't been writing and there's much to see here in Northern New Mexico.

We've been here for 8 years now and even though there were a few bets that we wouldn't last, here we are.

So let's get to it.

We still have cattle, but it's a rotating cast of characters. These guys were Regis and Phil(bin). Tom named them; not I. 

Regis and Phil(bin) are gone now to the great pasture in the sky and we are grateful to them.
Our new pup, Liza Jane, has been a handful. We went from exceedingly polite Ms. Pearl to a bossy tornado. This is a rare puppy pic of her lying still.


Summer gardening was successful. I think having a canine tornado keeps the bunnies from eating too much.


 This was early in the season. We had asparagus, green beans, kale, carrots, strawberries, sugar snap peas, and there's some broccoli I'm hoping will weather the upcoming cooler weather. The kale was especially pretty. I even froze some and I will tell you how another time. I used this kale for Zuppa Toscana. I found a copycat recipe for this Olive Garden favorite and it was yum!


Inside the Growing Dome we had a good season, too. Up here at 7200 feet it can be iffy for tomatoes and indoor gardening solves this problem. This year I grew five plants: Golden Jubilee, Black Cherry, Chocolate Sprinkles, good old Early Girl and Brad's Atomic Grape. All did well and I froze some, made a tomato and gruyere galette, and sometimes leaned  over the sink, salt shaker in hand, and ate them like apples, juice everywhere.

Tomato Plants Growing Like Crazy



Straight Eight Cucumber Plants and Burgundy Green Beans


A Few Tomatoes

Tom has been cutting up a cottonwood tree that split in two.


We really don't need firewood because last winter was so mild, we didn't even touch the artistic wood piles I made.


And he chopped thousands of thistles, which are noxious, invasive weeds. I don't have any photos of that.

I set up a sewing area on the porch.


Here was my view:


There was a field trip to Santa Fe's Botanical Gardens.


And to the Santa Fe Opera, twice! It was my first time experiencing opera and I loved it. People have tailgate dinners here, so we did the same. The big difference was our tailgate had road dust inside and out, and just as I was taking the photo, there was a wine mishap, but you get the idea.


I think I'm growing up. Opera? Wow.

It's always nice to come back home, though, to our little bubble.




See you next time!








3 comments:

  1. You all have been busy. Love the puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally...my cows are back..TBTG I love the gardens and the puppy and the quilting office set up on the porch. You have so much energy...jealous here.. So happy to see a post from you. xox Oh and the clouds and the glorious blue sky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post! Looks like things are going well for you in NM... your area is lovely. And all that wonderful produce - I gave up trying to grow much here, the prairie dogs and elk just feast on whatever I plant! Bet the pup is a handful. We had 3 lab pups years ago... what were we thinking? ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! What's on your mind?