Search This Blog

Saturday, September 29, 2018

Summer to Fall, A Quick Transition

Our first frost came just when it was supposed to, between September 25-30, so I guess fall is really here. Monsoon rains are over, pine needles are dropping, the yellow zucchini plants look droopy, the maple tree is shedding its leaves and bees and butterflies are having last call drinks from the yellow chamisa blossoms. But days still feel like summer. A friend who was harvesting onions yesterday remarked on how searing the sun felt.



We have crazy apples this year, so apple juice, canned apple pie filling, dried apples, and who knows what else will be preserved.  This is one of three different trees, so I look at them with love and also with dread. It's lot of work to put up all these apples, but worth it when I don't have to buy something at the store.

Red Delicious Apple Tree

Last week we had friends over for dinner: chuck roast, potatoes, country style green beans and a cucumber and tomato salad. I realized later that the only thing we'd bought from the store were potatoes. That's a good feeling.

This stuff was grown inside our Growing Dome

Although the grama grass grew well this past summer, look at that dry dirt! Let's hope for snow.


 This isn't about fall, but just an update on the new pup, Liza Jane. She's a crazy nut, enjoys fetching, and likes to be out and about exploring the ranch, digging holes, and thinking about what it might be like to herd four legged ruminants. Here she is contemplating the neighboring yak herd.


I am still amazed at the changing seasons and don't think I will ever tire of it.






1 comment:

  1. so happy to find this post..wahoo wahoo....I love the cattle. I love the blue sky, the veggies..wow...So nice you still have each other to enjoy all this country...missing Ms Pearl...but I know Liza Jane will soon be adorable. If i got a new dog I would want to name her Liza Jane...but I never get to name animals...It is ok...keep on posting...do not get lost there up in the mountains..xo

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! What's on your mind?