That's when it's perfectly okay to assemble dinner, use one pan and that's it. Grilled cheese is one of those perfect quickie meals, and this one is not only cheesy, but juicy and savory as well. I used some shredded cheese I found in the fridge, but slices are just fine. Add some flavor punch with some purchased pesto and moistness with some jarred, roasted red peppers and a homegrown or farmers' market tomato. I used a yellow Jubilee tomato for this sandwich.
Butter or olive oil the outside of the sandwich, so when you grill it, the bread is lightly browned.
If you feel the fam needs veggies, make this salad in the morning (pictured below) so all you have to do is set it on the table along with the grilled cheese sandwiches.
Grilled Cheese, Roasted Red Pepper, Tomato and Pesto Sandwiches
Ingredients (makes 1 sandwich)
2 slices bread
1 T prepared pesto
1 or 2 tomato slices
1 oz. cheese, your choice, sliced or shredded
2 or 3 pieces jarred roasted red peppers
butter, margarine, or olive oil
1. Heat a grill pan, griddle, or skillet over medium-low heat
2. Butter or brush some olive oil on one side of the bread slices.These will be the outside of the sandwich.
3. Assemble sandwich: pesto on the bread, then cheese, tomato, and peppers.
4. I like to add a little cheese on both sides of the juicy ingredients so when I grill the sandwich, it all sticks together.
5. Carefully place the sandwich on the hot griddle. If you want to make it panini-style, place a piece of aluminum foil on top of the sandwich and then put an iron skillet on the foil to smash it all down. Let the bottom of the sandwich grill. Check that it isn't burning and that the cheese is melting.
6. Flip the sandwich over, replace the foil and the iron skillet if you are making a panino, and keep an eye on it.
7. Once the cheese is melted and the bread is brown, you are finished! Enjoy!