Search This Blog

Sunday, April 21, 2013

No Yak Puns-Just Some Cute New Babies

I could get all crazy with yak puns, but this week I haven't felt like being funny. There were some happy events, though, here in the valley.

Meet our new neighbors, yak babies born about a week and a half ago.


I call them the sumo babies of the cattle world. Husky, sturdy little guys, aren't they?


I want to just run my hands through that fur!

But I don't think the mommas would like that. Check out those horns!


So what are yaks? The are cattle relatives,  originally from the Himalayas, which makes the winters in Northern New Mexico a piece of cake for these guys. Last year when it was 30 below zero? No worries for the yaks.

Their meat is juicy and a little sweet, like beef but with less fat. Their fiber, which is combed from their coats a couple times a year, is highly prized by knitters and weavers.

Yaks are easier on the environment, too. They eat less than cattle and I suppose that means they poop and fart less, too, so fewer greenhouse gases.  Their feet are small so they don't mess up creek beds as badly as cattle can and they drink less water, as well.

They are, for the most part, pretty docile except for one yak in the herd named P.I.T.A. who has used her horns to throw two different men out of the corral when she was going to be combed.

So that's all from this neck of the forest. Hope all are having an excellent Sunday. I am on my way to a local seed swap and to the local nursery which opened this weekend. Maybe there will be some interesting stuff to plant.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see yaks. Woot! We definitely want to get some. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! What's on your mind?