Search This Blog

Friday, August 19, 2011

Zucchini Brownies


 Last week the stars must have been aligned just right, because I posted a zucchini recipe and figured I'd post another one today since it's zucchini season. But what recipe? Oh, the trials and tribulations of a retired person!

So Friday afternoon I drove to the Mora Valley Farmers' Market to pick up some freshies and have some people interaction since we have been hermitting here at home and I didn't want to get too weird and desocialized.

At one table were two ladies selling veggies, including some rather large zucchini. I rarely buy big zucchini; I like the little guys.  I must have looked skeptical because one of the ladies opened a plastic container and said, "Want to try some zucchini brownies?" They looked awesome and I'm a sucker for any kind of free baked delicacy, so I daintily accepted a brownie and instantly was transported into chocolate nirvana. Moist and chocolatey, just like brownies should be. No, I couldn't taste the zucchini, which was there to add moisture.

"That big zucchini there is just the right size for this recipe," she said as she whipped out a photocopied Zucchini Brownie recipe. What a saleswoman! Anyway, I figured what the heck and bought the giant zucchini, made these brownies, and all is well with the world. The recipe includes directions for chocolate icing, but I  decided to save that for another day. The brownies are good even without the icing. And no one will know there's zucchini in there if you don't tell. Just click on the link to find the recipe.

Zucchini Brownies from www.allrecipes.com

A Note: I used dark chocolate cocoa for my brownies so if yours look lighter, they are okay. Note 2-When I mixed up the batter, it was really dry and I was worried. Don't give in to the temptation to add water or an egg. The zucchini adds moisture as they bake. But you might find yourself pressing the "batter" into the pan more than spreading it. If you truly want to add an egg, the brownies will be more cake like, according to the comments on the website.

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness! those brownies are mine! i'm going out to get the ingredients right now....will love adding the zucchini... great idea! and love the dark cocoa idea. i love dark chocolate. thanks for the recipe...theer

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! What's on your mind?